Thursday, June 16, 2011

Ministry :)

Well this gringa is definitely a sight here in Guatemala!  With my blonde hair, and pale/freckly skin I’m already on show… But it’s like they’ve never seen blue eyes before!  People just come up and stare, it’s hilarious!  (It did help me sell raffle tickets, as well as picking up a few 9 year old boyfriends! Haha) My team was even on the news!!!!
This week has been exhausting, in all honesty.  Constantly doing ministry is something that I’m psyched about, but I didn’t expect it to be so tiring!  Thursdays are my free days, so it’s time to relax and just do stuff that I want to do… Today 5 of my friends met up with a couple of native Guatemalan friends that took us on a LOOOOOONG hike up to an awesome spring!  The cold water was well worth it, but I haven’t ever walked STRAIGHT UP like that .  It was a seriously intense hike, but definitely a memory!  But, before we can have our day off, we have a full week of ministering to the people of Guatemala.
Sunday we went up into the jungle for a church service that we led for the children.  Before it we went door to door to invite people… The folks here are so generous!  At one house (a shack really) we were given an entire bushel of bananas, sugar cane, and mangos!  Another family cut down about 30 coconuts (which are marvelous)… These people have nothing, and yet they give everything!  It’s a trait I wish that the entire world shared…
Yesterday we did a presentation in the school for kids, then we went to the market to sell raffle tickets for a woman who was wrongly accused of robbing a bank, yet still has a huge fine to pay.  After that we went back to the school for another presentation (with different kids:  the school system here is weird)  We also spent some time this week in a children’s hospital and an old folks home.
Exhausting as it’s been, I love it here.  I may be sporting my first Guatemalan sunburn, but I’m so glad to be doing the work of the Lord.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment