Thursday, June 23, 2011

Out of the ashes we rise...

This week was a very trying and emotional one.  Our ministries were very difficult, but so very rewarding!  On Friday night, we went and did prostitute ministry.  I had never been around anything like that, and honestly I’ve only ever heard stories about the things that I saw.  Walking into bars and clubs was definitely new to me, but in I went.  The women there had an heir about them that I had never experienced before.  Aside from their dress and attitude, I could see a sadness in their faces.  They didn’t WANT to be there… They didn’t WANT to sell their bodies.  They felt as though there was no hope.  Some of them were less than 17, prostituting themselves because they were essentially sex trafficked by their own parents!  Some parents will tell their young daughters that they need them to make money and that they have no other choice.  It’s a sad life.  It’s a life that makes them feel worthless.  We brought each of them a flower, telling them that the flower was beautiful and that they were beautiful.  We tried to convey that the Lord loves them, and that they can find their identity in HIM and not in the men that use and abuse them.
We also visited a dump this week.  It was a very powerful ministry for me personally.  This is where all of the trash from around the area is emptied.  And there are children and families that LIVE in it!  They spend all day in the garbage, rumaging through trash, looking for anything that they can sell to buy food.  The stench of the dump was one that I have never experienced before… Imagine thousands of pounds of trash.  Imagine this trash burning all around you.  Imagine millions of flies and bugs.  Imagine dead carcasses and bones lying all around.  And imagine living in that.  There was a young girl, 17 years old, who is pregnant…. My heart definitely went out to her.  In a few short months she’ll be bringing a baby into this world… A baby that will grow up in trash.  Literally in trash.  A baby that will have no chance at a prosperous future.  A baby that deserves better, but has no choice in the matter.  This young girl needs help!  So a teammate, Nina, and I have decided to try do just that.  We want to get this girl to a doctor, buy her prenatal vitamins, and just try to make the pregnancy as good as possible under the circumstances.  Please pray for her, and for her unborn child.  There’s slim chance that they will ever leave the dump, but prayer is something that changes things.
Emotionally, this week has been very draining.  Seeing such sad and inhumane situations truly affected me… But, knowing that the Lord has a plan has certainly helped me.  While I’m here, I want to help those that are in such terrible circumstances, and maybe with just a small stretch of time, I’ll be able to change a life.
This precious face lives in the Dump.



EVERYWHERE you look.  Pictures  don't do it justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment